Gallery for :- Town center
Lockerbie is a town, built mainly from red sandstone, and is approximately 20 miles (32 km) from the English border, in Dumfries and Galloway. It has existed since the time of the Vikings around AD900. Lockerbie first recorded history in the 1190s in a charter of Robert de Brus, 2nd Lord of Annandale, granting the lands of Lockerbie to Adam de Carlyle. In 1306 it appears as Lokardebi.
It had a population of 4,009 at the 2001 census. The town came to international attention in
The name (originally "Loc-hard's by") means Lockard's Town in Old Norse. The presence of the remains of a Roman camp a mile to the west of the town suggests its origins may be even earlier. Lockerbie first entered recorded history in the 1190s in a charter of Robert de Brus, 2nd Lord of Annandale, granting the lands of Lockerbie to Adam de Carlyle. It appears as Lokardebi, in 1306.
The high street started to envolve in 1730 and in the 180's it became a staging post for the Glasgow to London route. The Carlisle-to-Glasgow road was built through Lockerbie around 1816.
The Caledonian Railway built the Carlisle to Beattock through Lockerbie in 1847 and later to Glasgow. Since the 18th century Scotland's was situated here. A now defunct gas works was built in 1855.