Gallery for dumfries dock_park
The area in Dock Park that is now known as Kellys Viewpoint is directly in front of where Kellys Shelter used to stand. The shelter was built in 1931. At this time, Kelly was a judge but between 1935 and 1938 he was actually the Provost of Dumfries. Unfortunately the shelter was burnt down twice, the last time in 2010. The decision was made to not replace it when the regeneration of Dock Park happened, but instead put a viewpoint in its place. You may also be interested to know that the Cafe building in Dock Park was originally called the RA Grierson Rest and Recreation Room, named after the Town Clerk at the time. Its regulations stated that the persons eligible to use the Recreation Room shall be men of 60 years of age and over and resident within the burgh of Dumfries. There were also very strict rules for the use of this building which was even requisitioned by the Army at the outbreak of WWII.