Gallery for Newabbey
New Abbey includes the ruined Sweetheart Abbey, and abbey church of StMary, founded by Lady Devorgilla in 1270 to commemorate the death of her husband John Balliol. On her death she was laid next to her husbandís embalmed heart. The monks named the abbey in memory of her.
The current mill was erected at the end of the 18 th century by Mr Stewart of Shambellie when he purchased the site.
There has, probablly been a mill on the site for about 700 years. The first one being built by the monks of Sweetheart Abbey.